15-Minute Korean Ground Beef is a super simple meal, great for busy nights. This garlic and ginger flavored beef is cooked to perfection and served over rice.
Korean Ground Beef
This dish is a flavorful sweet and savory Asian dish. All you need is a handful of simple ingredients and a skillet. Serve it over rice and a side of steamed vegetables (I like broccoli!) for a complete meal.
Ingredients for Korean Beef:
- Ground Beef– Lean ground beef works best so no draining is required.
- Garlic– Fresh garlic tastes best. It should be added to the pan last and cooked with the beef or 30-60 seconds just until fragrant to prevent over cooking it and causing a bitter taste.
- Olive Oil– Oil is needed to help sear the ground beef.
- Toasted Sesame Oil– This is a finishing oil and should be added after cooking because it has a low smoke point. It adds a delicious nutty flavor to dishes.
- Sesame Seeds– This adds color and little texture but not necessarily needed.
- Green Onions– These are a mild onion added at the end of cooking for color and flavor.
- Soy Sauce– Use good quality soy sauce as it makes up the majority of the sauce.
- Brown Sugar– This adds sweetness and a depth of flavor.
- Ginger– Fresh ginger adds a delicious fresh flavor to the the dish. If needed, use 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Red Pepper Flakes– Just a little bit is added for flavor. Add more to create a spicier dish.
How to make Korean Ground Beef:
Time needed: 15 minutes.
- Make Sauce
In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, born sugar, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Brown Beef
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add beef. Let cook undisturbed for 2-3 mintues to brown. Flip and cook another 2 minutes. Chop/crumble meat as it finishes browning. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
Add the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
Mix in sesame oil and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve over rice.
No. Toasted sesame oil is a finishing oil.
Toasted sesame oil can be found in the international aisle of your local grocery store in the Asian section. It typically comes in a small bottle (~5 ounces) and is dark in color.
Fresh ginger is located in the chilled produce section typically by herbs and/or tubers.
For a nuttier flavor, toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium-high heat while stirring until browned. Or place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350°F.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS DISH:
- Cast Iron Skillet– A cast iron skillet is a kitchen must have. It heats evenly and gives meats a nice crust.
- Meat Chopper– This is the best little kitchen gadget and less than $10! Browning any ground meat is a cinch with this little meat chopper!
- Garlic Press– Fresh garlic tastes best and this is the garlic press is my favorite! I love how easy it is to use and clean!
LOOKING FOR MORE GROUND BEEF RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- The Best Ground Beef Tacos
- Easy Dorito Taco Salad
- Southwest Ground Beef & Sweet Potato Skillet
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- The Best Stuffed Bell Peppers
Korean Ground Beef
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, born sugar, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add beef. Let cook undisturbed for 2-3 mintues to brown. Flip and cook another 2 minutes. Chop/crumble meat as it finishes browning. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix in sesame oil and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve over rice.