Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are full of warm fall spices and have a moist and tender crumb. These cupcakes are super easy to make and always a hit in the fall.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting should be high up there on your Fall Bucket List. They are simple but the combination is magnificent! If you love this combo as much as I do, be sure to also try Easy Pumpkin Sheet Cake, Moist Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting, and Mini Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifles.
This recipe uses simple ingredients you already have on hand in your pantry. The texture of the cake is perfection! You won’t be able to resist eating a cupcake before you have the frosting ready and you’ll find they’re equally as delicious on their own.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Cupcakes:
- All-Purpose Flour– This flour results in a light, fluffy, stable cake crumb.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda– These chemical leavening agents give rise to the batter to create a light texture.
- Pumpkin Spice– If you don’t have pumpkin spice, substitute it with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. ginger, and 1/16 tsp. ground cloves.
- Salt– Salt helps enhance the other flavors in the cupcakes.
- Brown Sugar– This gives a greater depth of flavor as well as adds a little more moisture.
- Granulated Sugar– This not only adds sweetness but helps in creating the light fluffy texture.
- Oil– A neutral oil like vegetable or canola works best for baking.
- Eggs– Eggs help to emulsify the batter, add moisture, and add stability to the the structure of the cake.
- Pumpkin Puree– Adds flavor as well as moisture.
- Vanilla Extract– For flavor! Pure extract is always best!
How to make Pumpkin Cupcakes:
Time needed: 40 minutes.
- Prep work
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake liners.
- Mix dry ingredients
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and salt together. Set aside.
- Mix liquid ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, oil, eggs, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract.
- Mix & fill
Add dry ingredients to the liquid and mix until combined.
Spoon batter into the cupcake liners filling 3/4 full (about 1/4 cup).
Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes, remove, and then allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make Frosting
Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Mix in the vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the powdered sugar and beat until light and smooth. Frost completely cooled cupcakes.
Yes! Cupcakes can be left at room temperature if eaten within 4 hours, otherwise, cover and store in fridge (up to 4 days). Remove 1-2 hours before serving to allow to come to room temperature.
I prefer Libby. It is a little more vibrant/dark in color and has a better texture. I have used store brand pumpkin and my baked goods turn out just fine but I choose to spend the extra money on Libby for that picture perfect end product. Costco usually carries it for a good price in the fall.
Oil results in a moister crumb and since this recipes uses a lot of other spices and pumpkin for flavor, you won’t notice the lack of butter flavor.
To make it extra delicious! Feel free to leave it out but it’s the perfect addition for the fall pumpkin cupcakes!
TOOLS USED TO MAKE CUPCAKES:
- Muffin/Cupcake Tin– Every kitchen needs a muffin tin. This is my favorite. I use it for cupcakes, muffins, Mini Frittatas….
- Kitchen Aid Mixer– This is so handy to have in the kitchen. I use it for cookies, cakes, frosting, bread, whipped cream… LOVE IT!
- Whisk– This is my favorite whisk for making batters. It feels really nice in hand and is really sturdy.
LOOKING FOR MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- The BEST Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin Waffles
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes
- Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Muffins
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar, (measured and then sifted)
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, oil, eggs, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to the liquid and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into the cupcake liners filling 3/4 full (about 1/4 cup).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes, remove, and then allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the Frosting:
- With an electric mixer (fitted with paddle attachment) beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the powdered sugar and beat until light and smooth.
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe on top of the cupcakes.
- Consume within 4 hours or store in an airtight container in the fridge. Remove 1-2 hours before serving to allow to come to room temperature.