Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes are such an easy side dish! Mix 6 ingredients together in your crock-pot and 3 hours later you’ve got creamy, cheesy, tender potatoes ready to eat along side dinner. (I first shared this recipe on Lil Luna where I was a contributor.)
Potatoes and cheese are a match made in heaven! No one can pass up a side of potatoes that are robed in a creamy cheesy sauce! Serve it along side Mini Meatloaf, Balsamic Glazed Slow Cooker Pork Loin, or Cornflake Chicken!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
These are such an easy side dish to make! As side should be easy so that you can focus on the main dish anyway.
How to make Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes?
- Grease bottom of slow cooker with cooking spray. (Or line with a slow cooker liner for easy clean up)
- Dump the frozen potatoes, soup, sour cream, onion, garlic salt, and half the cheese together in the bottom of a slow cooker and mix together until evenly combined.
- Cover with lid and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 5-6 hours. All slow cookers are not alike. Some cook hotter than others so check to see if the potatoes are done at the shorter end of the time frame.
- When the potatoes are tender, sprinkle on the remaining cheese and cover with the lid for 5-10 minutes until it’s melted. Sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper and then serve.
Can I double the Cheesy Potato recipe?
Yes! If you’re slow cooker is at least 6 quarts you can definitely fit it all in. I recommend stirring the potatoes halfway through. They might need to cook for an extra hour.
Can I use fresh potatoes?
Definitely! Just be sure to dice them small. They may need an extra hour to cook.
What kind of frozen potatoes should I use?
I use Ore-Ida Diced Hash Brown Potatoes. You’ll likely find diced frozen potatoes next to the frozen french fries and labeled as frozen “hash browns.”
What kind of cheese should I use?
You can really use what ever flavor cheese you prefer. I used sharp cheddar cheese. Feel free to use mild, extra sharp, or even mixing in a different cheese or combination.
If you want to add a kick, mix in some pepper jack cheese.
LOOKING FOR MORE POTATO RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes are so flavorful, smooth, and creamy!
- These Shredded Cream Potatoes have just a few ingredients but are so yummy and a great side to so many dishes.
- Easy Twice Baked Potatoes are a reader favorite!
- Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes are so easy and addicting.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes are your favorite twice baked potato in patty form, and the best use of leftover mashed potatoes!
- Melting Potatoes are so tender and buttery!
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THESE HASH BROWN POTATOES:
- Slow Cooker– This is very similar to the one I use but it has the addition of a lockable lid which is awesome for when you are transporting food for a party or potluck, especially soup.
- Knife Set– I got this when I got married almost 8 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
- Cutting Board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- 32 ounces diced potatoes, frozen
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Grease bottom of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Put all ingredients in EXCEPT 1 cup of the cheese. Mix together, cover, and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 5-6 (mix halfway) until potatoes are tender.
- Turn off, remove lid, sprinkle on remaining cheese and cover for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.