Strawberry Tartlets are the perfect spring and summer dessert! These little strawberry tarts have a shortbread crust, are filled with a sweet creamy filling, and topped with fresh juicy strawberries. They’re perfect for serving at a dinner party! (I first shared this recipe on Centsless Meals where I am a contributor.)
It’s strawberry season so bring on all the strawberry desserts! Those gorgeous sweet berries are delicious just on their own and are great for adding in or on other treats. Add them to the top of Mini Berry Tarts, Easy Chocolate Mousse, Mini Triple Chocolate Cheesecakes, and these tartlets!
Everything is cuter as a mini version, including tarts! Not only are they adorable but they’re already portioned and just so beautiful! You can get really creative with how you cut and arrange the strawberries. I have been really loving a more asymmetrical look lately and I really like how these little guys turned out. I love when my food looks as amazing as it tastes!
What are Tartlets?
Tarlets are just a miniature version of a tart. A tart is a baked pastry containing a filling left open on top, often topped with fruit. The pastry is usually a shortcrust and the filling can be either sweet or savory.
How to make Strawberry Tarts?
- Make the pastry crust. The type of crust used in these tarts is a sweet shortbread crust made up of just three ingredients- flour, butter, and sugar. Just pulse them together until it starts to come together and form clumps and then press it into the bottom and up the sides of your tart pans. These will bake for 20-24 minutes until the begin to turn golden brown. Once done, they need to cool completely before adding the filling.
- The filling is a combination of whipped cream and cream cheese with a bit of lemon. The lemon zest and juice help add to the refreshing flavor of the dessert and compliments the strawberries.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream with and electric mixer until stiff peaks. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and then mix in the lemon juice. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Place equal amounts of filling into each tart and spread smooth. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, mix the strawberries with the sugar and place on top of the tarts. Serve immediately.
How to make the perfect tart crust?
- Use butter! Butter creates a flaky crust as well as provides the best flavor.
- Poke the crust with a fork. This helps prevent the crust from puffing up while baking.
- Once pressed into the pan, pop the crust in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will help prevent the crust from shrinking.
- Check on the crust frequently and remove once it begins to turn golden.
Can I make a big tart?
Can I use other fruits?
You bet! Use whatever fresh berries you have on hand or other kinds of fruit like kiwi and mango.
MORE DELICIOUS STRAWBERRY RECIPES TO TRY:
- Strawberry Topped Tres Leches Cake is a delicious cake soaked in sweet milk, covered in cream, and topped with gorgeous sweet strawberries.
- Glazed Strawberry Muffins are the best summer breakfast treat!
- Enjoy all the sweet summer berries on this Mixed Berry Pavlova!
- Strawberries and Cream Bread Pudding is sure to bring back childhood memories.
- Make Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes if you really want to show someone some love.
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Pie is the perfect refreshing dessert for summer!
- How about Strawberry Cream Cheese Danish for brunch?!
TOOLS USED TO MAKE MINI FRUIT TARTS:
Mini Tart Pans – These cute little tart pans can be used to make tarts or mini quiches. They are 5 inches in diameter and 6 come in the pack. They have a drop out bottom which allows for easy removal.
Stainless Steel Measuring Cups– Finally a nice set of sturdy measuring cups that includes 2/3 and 3/4 cup! I also love that the measurements are etched in instead of painted.
Food Processor– Food processors are great to have for chopping fruits and vegetables really fine, but also for cutting butter into pastry dough.
!For the Shortbread Crust:
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salted butter softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
!For the Filling:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest of one lemon
!For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries diced
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place flour, butter, and sugar together in a food processor and pulse until butter is smaller than half a pea. Pour equally between 6 mini tart pans (or one large tart pan).
- Using a measuring cup, press the pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of the pans. Gently pierce the bottoms with a fork. Pop in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and then bake for 20-24 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and then cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream until stiff peaks. Empty it into another bowl and then add the cream cheese and sugar to the stand mixer bowl (no need to clean it from the cream). Switch to the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Mix in the lemon juice and zest.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese and then spread into the tart shells. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, mix strawberries with sugar and then add to the top of the tarts. Serve.