Summer Fruit Salad is a refreshing and delicious way to enjoy all the sweet juicy summer fruits. This colorful healthy side dish is great for serving at the pool and barbecues.
Every summer party needs some colorful fruit and this Summer Fruit Salad does not disappoint! This gorgeous salad is just what you need along side your Triple BBQ Crunch Burger, Baby Back Ribs, and Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs. It’s refreshing, colorful, and plump full of healthy goodness.
This isn’t The Wiggles fruit salad but it is yummy yummy! While researching fruit salad I discovered there is a children’s song about it and unfortunately I listened to it and now have it stuck in my head and am forever scarred. My Summer Fruit Salad actually doesn’t include any of the same fruit as mentioned in the song. While I’m sure theirs tastes just fine, this fruit salad is full of berries and fruit that are in season and are at their peak during the summer months.
Summer Fruit Salad
How to Make Fruit Salad:
- Make the Dressing- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, and zest. Set aside.
- Prepare the Various Fruit- Wash and dry the berries. Peel and slice or cube the kiwi, mango, and strawberries.
- Mix together the fruit and dressing. Serve!
Fruit Salad Dressing:
Fruit salad doesn’t have to have a dressing, especially if you have good quality ripe fruit. If you do choose to dress it, this honey lime fruit salad dressing adds a bright refreshing sweetness. It also helps to enhance the flavor sweetness as it draws out the juices. Dressing the fruit also creates a beautiful glaze that makes the fruit really shine.
If you’re using fruit that browns quickly like apples, this dressing will slow that down thanks to the acidic lime juice.
How long does fruit salad last?
It is best to eat the salad right after mixing it all together with the dressing but can be enjoyed up until the end of the day if refrigerated.
What fruit can you put in fruit salad?
Any fruit! For this summer fruit salad I chose to use fruit that is in season because it’s easy to find these fruits, they’re at peak quality and sweetness, and the colors are so vibrant and beautiful. They also just taste really good in combination together. These particular fruits also hold their color well unlike some fruits that brown shortly after cutting.
Here are some other fruits you could use in your fruit salad:
MELONS: Cantaloupe, watermelon, honey due. These are great for the summer and are so refreshing.
BERRIES: These add such beautiful color to fruit salads, are sweet and juicy but can sometimes be tart.
STONE FRUIT: Peaches, plums, nectarines, cherries, mangoes… These are all so delicious and sweet. Their juices run out and add great flavor to the other fruit in the salad. Be sure to remove the pits in your cherries!
TROPICAL FRUIT: Mango, pineapple, kiwi, star fruit, bananas… tropical fruits are usually really sweet and really add to the summery vibe.
CITRUS FRUITS: Grapefruit, oranges, clementines… all are very juicy which is delicious as the juices bleed into the other fruits.
APPLES & PEARS: While these fruits are delicious, they do brown quickly like bananas. If used, the salad needs to be served right away or dressed with a citrus type dressing.
LOOKING FOR MORE SUMMER SIDE DISHES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Not sold on broccoli? This The Best Broccoli Bacon Salad will make you a broccoli lover!
- Frog Eye Fruit Salad– Yes, I know the name of this is weird but there are no actual eyes or frogs in this salad. It’s just super yummy and is more of a dessert.
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon are a summer necessity!
- Rainbow Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad takes your average pasta salad to a whole new level.
- Crunchy Asian Broccoli Slaw is for all my texture lovers. Broccoli stems never tastes so good!
- Classic Summer Veggie Pasta Salad
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS FRESH FRUIT SALAD:
- Cutting board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
- Knife Set– I got this when I got married almost 8 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
- White Serving Bowl– I know white is boring but I love that I can use it for any occasion and holiday and any color of food looks good in it. It lets the beautiful food shine!
Summer Berry Fruit Salad
- 2 mangoes peeled, sliced
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 kiwi fruit peeled, sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- Mix honey, lime juice, and zest together.
- In a large bowl, toss together all the fruit and the honey dressing. Serve immediately.*