Making a recipe that calls for Taco Seasoning but you realize you don’t have any on hand? Make you’re own! This tastes just like McCormick’s delicious blend of spices!
Whether you ran out of packets or just prefer to make your own, this Homemade Taco Seasoning is sure to elevate your next Mexican dish! This particular blend of spices is full of flavor, depth, and a little heat. For other homemade spice blends, try my Cajun Seasoning!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
This make-it-yourself seasoning blend is made up of 11 various spices and herbs that you likely already have on hand in your spice cabinet. With the help of a few surprising ingredients, this tastes just like the leading brand.
Ingredients for Taco Seasoning:
- Chili Powder– Made up of multiple varieties of chili peppers and “other spices”.
- Cornmeal– This helps thicken the sauce of your dish. If you read the ingredient list on a packet, you’ll see it there.
- Cumin– Adds a warm earthy flavor with both a little sweetness and bitterness.
- Oregano– Adds a bold earthy flavor with slight bitterness.
- Garlic powder– Made from dehydrated garlic cloves that are ground into a fine powder.
- Smoked Paprika– Add smokiness and earthiness.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes– Adds heat.
- Onion Powder– Has a sharp flavor with a hint of sweetness.
- Salt– Brings out the flavors. Can be omitted for more salt control in various dishes.
- Sugar– Adds a hint of sweetness.
- Cocoa Powder– This gives a deeper flavor.
How to make Taco Seasoning:
Time needed: 5 minutes.
- Measure & Mix!
Place all seasoning together in a bowl or jar and mix together until all spices are evenly distributed.
- Use or Store
Use in your favorite recipe or store in an airtight container for later use.
Like flour or cornstarch, cornmeal thickens sauces. This helps the flavorful sauce really cling to your meat. It’s so tasty!
To keep the mix fresh for months, store in an airtight container like a jar or Tupperware.
To prevent burning, add it to the dish when adding the liquid or just before.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS SEASONING:
- Tulip Weck Jars– These jars are not only cute but great for storing sauces and homemade spices.
- Mason Jars– I use these jars all the time for anything from dressing to homemade jam.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES USING TACO SEASONING? CHECK OUT THESE:
- 3-Ingredient Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Layered Dip
- Taco Chili
- Crock-Pot Mexican Chicken
- 10-Ingredient Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Use with 1 pound of ground beef or amount as directed in recipe.