Baked Sweet Potato Wedges are a healthy and simple side dish. These crispy wedges are seasoned for a little kick and pair well with burgers or any grilled meat.
Baked Sweet Potato Wedges are a great healthy alternative to French fries. You can’t have a burgers (or pulled pork sandwiches) without fries or other delicious sides and these wedges need to be added to the menu! For more great barbecue side dishes, try Lightened Up Grape Salad, Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon, and The Best Broccoli Bacon Salad.
Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Fries are great but sometimes you need something different and delicious! These baked fries hit the spot and are quite addicting. Dip them in ketchup, bbq sauce, or enjoy plain.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Wedges:
- Sweet Potatoes– Small to medium size short sweet potatoes work best. Peel, cut in half lengthwise, and then cut each half in 6 even wedges.
- Oil– Any oil will do. I prefer olive oil but avocado, canola, or vegetable oil work as well.
- Spices– Chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder a a little heat and a lot of flavor.
- Salt– Potatoes need a lot of salt. Feel free to add more if desired.
How to make Sweet Potato Wedges:
Time needed: 50 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
Place potato wedges in a bowl and drizzle with oil and toss until coated. Sprinkle seasonings on wedges and mix.
Arrange potatoes on pan with a cut side down. Bake for 25 minutes, flip, and bake 15-20 more minutes. Broil 1-2 minutes if desired.
The key to making crispy baked sweet potato wedges is to give each wedge plenty of space on the baking sheet. If needed, use 2 pans. Also using just enough oil, no too much, will help the outside crisp without getting soggy.
Yes! Swap out the spices for other seasonings like cajun seasoning, Italian, or just salt & pepper.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THESE SWEET POTATOES:
- Half-Sheet Pan– I LOVE these pans. I’ve had the same 4 pans since I got married (12 years ago) and they are in great condition. I use them all the time for sheet cakes, cookies, roasting vegetables, baking chicken…
- Cutting board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
- Knife Set– I got this when I got married 12 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
LOOKING FOR MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- Southern Stove Top Candied Yams
Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place potato wedges in a bowl and drizzle with oil and toss until coated.
- Sprinkle seasonings on wedges and mix.
- Arrange potatoes on pan with a cut side down. Bake for 25 minutes, flip, and bake 15-20 more minutes. Broil 1-2 minutes if desired.