Slow Cooker Pulled Pork is incredibly flavorful, tender, and juicy. This easy to make shredded pork is so versatile and can be used on sandwiches, tacos, salads, burritos, and more.
Warm weather calls for a big ole Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich! Not only is it so satisfying and delicious, it’s so easy to make and great for feeding a crowd. Looking for sides? Serve it with a side of Lightened Up Grape Salad, Watermelon Feta Salad, Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon and/or Summer Fruit Salad.
Crock-Pot Pulled Pork
The Crock-Pot is a magical appliance. Put any meat in in the morning and at dinner time you have amazing fall-apart tender meat. This Pulled Pork is so juicy and flavorful, you won’t be able to stop picking at it while shredding it up.
Ingredients for Pulled Pork:
- Pork Shoulder or Butt– Both of these cuts are nicely marbled. When cooked low and slow these cuts of meat become very tender. Try to cut off any large sections of fat. When shredding, discard of any more large sections of fat.
- Oil– Olive, vegetable, or canola oil will do. This is used to brown the meat for added flavor.
- Brown Sugar– This gives the meat a flavor as well as a little sweetness.
- Spices– Chili Powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper are used to give the meat loads of flavor.
- Liquid Smoke– This is the trick to get your meat to taste like it was smoked without all the work.
- Coca-Cola– The sugars in the soda caramelize while slow cooking giving the meat a sweet flavor. Do NOT use diet!
How to make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork:
Time needed: 8 hours and 10 minutes
- Season Pork
Mix all spices together and press on all sides of pork.
- Brown Pork
Heat oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Brown pork on all sides.
- Slow Cook
Place browned pork in the bottom of a slow cooker and pour in the Coca Cola and liquid smoke. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Remove pork from slow cooker and shred.
A marbled pork roast such as shoulder or butt results in the most tender pulled pork. Boneless or bone-in both work well, just remember that if selecting bone-in, part of the weight is just bone so select a roast that is a pound or 2 more than what the recipe calls for.
No. It isn’t necessary to sear meat before slow cooking but it is recommended. Searing the meat caramelizes the outside of the meat giving it greater depth of flavor. It you’re short on time or just forgot, the roast will still taste great.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK:
- Slow Cooker– This is very similar to the one I use but it has the addition of a lockable lid which is awesome for when you are transporting food for a party or potluck, especially soup.
- Cast Iron Skillet– A cast iron skillet is a kitchen must have. It heats evenly and gives meats a nice seared crust.
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons– I love these measuring cups! They’re sturdy, pretty and it has every size measuring cup and spoon! I can’t stand sets that don’t come with 2/3 and 3/4 cups.
LOOKING FOR MORE PORK RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Vietnamese Noodle Bowl
- Balsamic Glazed Slow Cooker Pork Loin
- 3- Ingredient Kalua Pork
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 4 pounds pork shoulder or butt, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil, optional
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 12 ounces coca cola
- Mix all spices together and rub over all sides of pork.
- Heat oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Brown pork on all sides.
- Place browned pork in the bottom of slow cooker and pour in the Coca-Cola and liquid smoke. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred on a cutting board.