Roasted Sweet Potatoes are sweet, savory, and crispy! They are so easy to make and can be enjoyed as a healthy side dish or in salads.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasting is my favorite way to cook vegetables. This method uses dry heat which caramelizes the already present natural sugars, giving them a great depth of flavor.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes:
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes are so easy to make and require just a few ingredients.
Wash and peel the potatoes. Dice them into about 3/4 inch uniform pieces and place on a baking sheet.
Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt (or seasonings). Toss around to evenly coat and then spread out on the pan.
Bake the potatoes in a 425 degrees F preheated oven.
Give the potatoes a toss every 10 minutes, cooking until tender and crispy (about 30-35 minutes).
This varies based on the size you cut your potatoes. At 425 degrees and potatoes cut in 3/4 inch cubes, your potatoes will be done in about 30 minutes.
Increase the temperature of the oven to 450 or 475 AND/OR cut the potatoes smaller.
Toss the potatoes every 10 minutes and cook 5-15 minutes longer. You can also turn the oven to broil at the end for 1-2 minutes but keep a close eye on them.
Tips for roasting vegetables:
- Cut uniformly– It’s importantly to cut the vegetables in the same size pieces so that they cook evenly and are done at the same time. They won’t be perfect since potatoes aren’t rounded so just do your best.
- Don’t over crowd the pan– If your pan isn’t big enough, get a second pan. The air/heat in the oven needs to be able to circulate around each pieces.
- Toss the vegetables– Giving the vegetables a toss 1-2 times while baking helps ensure that every pieces gets evenly roasted and caramelized on all sides.
- Test for doneness– The best way to know if your roasted vegetables are done is to poke it with a fork. If it can be pierced without much effort then they are cooked through. If the outside is not toasted enough let them cook another 3-5 minutes.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES:
- Half-Sheet Pan– I LOVE these pans. I’ve had the same 4 pans since I got married (10 years ago) and they are in great condition. I use them all the time for sheet cakes, cookies, roasting vegetables, baking chicken…
- Cutting Board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
- Knife Set– I’ve had these for 10 years and use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
- Vegetable Peeler– This is my favorite peeler. It gets the job done quickly and effortlessly.
LOOKING FOR MORE SIDE DISHES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Beets
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each: chili powder, paprika, kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place diced potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt (or optional seasoning mix). Toss to evenly coat and then spread out on the pan.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, tossing them every 10 minutes, cooking until tender and crisp.