Gooey Butter Cake is a rich dessert that you are sure to swoon over! These indulgent bars have a cake like base with a ooey gooey layer on top that has a shiny crispy top like a box brownie. Make this for any occasion and it is sure to disappear quickly. I first shared this recipe on TheRecipeCritic.com where I am a contributor.
Six ingredients is all it takes to whip up these addicting Ooey Gooey Butter Cake bars. They’re so easy to make, easy to transport, and can feed a crowd. If you’re looking for more bar type goodies to share with your friends and family, you also need to try my Turtle Brownies, Scotcheroos, and Oatmeal Chocolate Fudge Chewies.
Gooey Butter Cake Bars
This Gooey Butter Cake is the perfect easy treat to make for any gathering. This recipe makes 24 indulgent squares that your guests are sure to go gaga over. No one will ever guess these yummy treats started with a cake mix.
What is Gooey Butter Cake?
Gooey Butter Cake is a St. Louis, Missouri (my home town!) original. It was created by mistake by a German American but this was in the 1930’s during the Great Depression and baking supplies were low so they went ahead and sold it. Since it isn’t the most gorgeous cake, it remained a favorite in the area until popularized by Paula Deen.
Why is this recipe sometimes called Neiman Marcus Bars?
Neiman Marcus is an upscale store for the rich and since these ooey gooey bars are so rich in flavor, they are sometimes referred to as Neiman Marcus Bars. The store does not actually make or sell these.
How to Make Ooey Gooey Butter Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare you pan by spraying it with grease or lining with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, combine the cake mix (just the powder. Disregard instructions on the box for adding other ingredients.), 2 of the eggs, and the melted butter. This will be thick but spread it into the pan as evenly possible.
- Make the top layer by mixing the cream cheese, eggs, powdered sugar, and vanilla together. Pour it over the cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes and then remove and cool completely.
What kind of cake mix should I use?
For this recipe you need a yellow cake mix. I use Duncan Hines but you can use any other brand of similar size. After you make this original version, try experimenting with different flavors like lemon, chocolate, or red velvet cake mix!
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Easy Blueberry Pie Bars– This is so much easier to make than pie and feeds a lot of people.
- Cream Cheese Blondie Bars– These are rich and oh so good!
- Classic Lemon Bars– This classic is always a hit especially in the summer.
- German Chocolate Brownies– My FAVORITE brownies. I could eat a whole bowl of the frosting.
- Nutella Brownies– Just making brownies even better with swirls of Nutella!
- Peanut Butter Blondies– For when you’re in the mood for a peanut butter treat!
TOOLS USED TO MAKE GOOEY BUTTER CAKE:
- 9×13 Inch Metal Baking Pan with Lid– I LOVE LOVE LOVE this baking pan. I use it for making cakes or any sort of bar treat because it allows me to store and transport with easy and it’s airtight.
- Electric Hand Mixer– This is one of my most used kitchen gadgets. It’s great for frosting, whipping egg whites, cookie dough…
- Kitchen Aid Mixer– This is so handy to have in the kitchen. I use it for cookies, cakes, frosting, bread, whipped cream… LOVE IT!
- Rubber Spatulas– Get every last ounce of batter out of the bowl and into the pan with these sturdy rubber spatulas. These are also great to use when cooking since they are heat resistant.
Gooey Butter Bars
- 1 18.25 ounce package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F if using a dark pan). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, 2 eggs, and melted butter. The batter will be thick. Spread into the bottom of the greased pan with a rubber spatula.
- Reuse the bowl (no need to clean) to combine the cream cheese, 2 eggs, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Pour over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool completely and then slice and serve.