Learn how to massage kale so you can enjoy how delicious this healthy green is! Preparing kale the right way makes all the difference. Prepare it in advance so you can make a quick healthy salad in no time!
Raw kale straight off the stem is tough and very earthy flavored. Add a little oil, lemon juice, and salt and give it a little massage and then you have a tender yummy healthy green for the base of all your salads for the week.
It seems odd to “massage” kale but think of it similar to kneading dough. Working the kale with your hands helps produce a more desired texture as well as taste. It is well worth the 3 extra minutes of effort.
HOW TO MASSAGE KALE:
Time needed: 8 minutes.
Rip the kale leaves off of the rib and dispose of the tough rib.
Tear or chop up the kale to bite size or smaller pieces and place in a bowl.
Drizzle kale with oil, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt.
Rub the oiled kale between your fingers for 3-5 minutes until softened.
Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days. (Kale will get more tender the longer it sits in the fridge.)
Kale is a hardier green that can last up to 2 weeks in the fridge stored dry in a plastic tub or bag that is breathable. To help it last long, add a paper towel to the container to absorb moisture.
Yes! Clean, dry, and chop into 1 inch pieces. Lay on a large baking sheet, freeze, and then transfer to an airtight container for up to a year. It can not be used for fresh salad but it can be used in cooked dishes like soup and pasta.
If kale is wilted, a pale greenish yellow, brown, soggy, or smells sulfurous, it has spoiled and should not be eaten.
TOOLS USED TO PREPARE KALE:
- Pyrex Mixing Bowls with Lids- The large or medium bowl in this set is great for prepping and storing your kale.
- Lemon Juicer– This is a manual one which can be used for any kind/size of citrus fruit. I really like this metal squeezer for lemons and limes.
LOOKING FOR MORE SALADS? CHECK OUT THESE:
- 1 bunch curly kale, (about 6 packed cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch kosher salt
- Tear the leafy portion of the kale off of the hard rib. Discard the rib and then rip or chop the kale into desired size pieces.
- Drizzle kale with oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and massage by grabbing the leaves with your fingers and and gently rubbing them. Do this for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.