This cool and creamy 5-minute Veggie Dip is made up of sour cream, mayo, dried herbs, and spices. It’s the perfect addition to a platter full of fresh vegetables!
Every gathering needs a veggie tray and this Veggie Dip is the perfect companion to it. A fruit platter with the best Cream Cheese Fruit Dip is also a must-have!
Trying to eat more vegetables? Quickly whip up this Vegetable Dip and set it out with a variety of crisp raw vegetables. Place it in this convenient covered platter and pull it out for snack time or with dinner and you’ll be amazed at how many vegetables you and your kids will eat.
Ingredients for Veggie Dip:
- Mayonnaise– Mayo is made up of oil, egg yolks, and vinegar or lemon juice. This rich, smooth, and creamy condiment adds a delicious tanginess.
- Sour Cream– This cool, thick, and creamy condiment is cream that has been fermented using lactic acid bacteria. It has a tart flavor
- Dill Weed– This herb has a pleasant bright sweet flavor with hints of anise and lemon. This is often used in dips, sauces, and seasoning meats and seafood.
- Minced Onion– Not only does this save time (no cutting… or crying) but using dried vs fresh helps to thicken the dip as it sits.
- Parsley Flakes– This adds a clean earthy taste, giving this dip a ranch like flavor.
- Beau Monde Seasoning– This is a blend of celery, onion, salt, and sugar. It is so yummy in this dip but can also be used as a rub for meats.
- Seasoned Salt– This too is a blend of spices including salt, sugar, paprika, turmeric, onion, and garlic.
How to make Vegetable Dip:
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together until evenly combined.
Cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve.
To reduce the calories in this dip, swap out the sour cream for non-fat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt. Swap out full fat mayo for olive oil mayonnaise (60 calories/Tbsp) or canola oil mayonnaise (40 calories/Tbsp).
1.) It tastes the best and if this yummy dip gets you and your kids to eat more vegetables, that’s a WIN!
2.) When vegetables are consumed with fat, the body is able to absorb more of the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E & K) contained in them. This is something to consider before making substitutions to make recipes fat-free.
Fresh herbs are not only more expensive but you have to use a higher quantity of them to get the same potency. Using dried herbs also helps keep the dip thick. Fresh herbs & onion can definitely be used instead, just double the amount of them.
Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and tomatoes are pretty standard but you can add other favorites or leave off some of those “classics” because, honestly, cauliflower and celery are rarely at the top of anyone’s list. Here are a few more ideas: bell peppers, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, and radishes. Olives aren’t a vegetable but they’re also great on a veggie tray.
This dip is good for up to 5 days stored covered in the fridge.
Since this dip is made with mayonnaise and sour cream, it should NOT sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
If making this for a large gathering, I recommend doubling the recipe. To keep from spoiling, divide the dip between two bowls, keeping one covered in the fridge and placing the other on the tray. Pull out and swap in the second bowl once the first is eaten.
Alternatively, you can nest the bowl of dip in a larger ice filled bowl.
Make your own! Use 1/2 tsp. celery salt, 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS VEGGIE DIP:
- Pyrex Mixing Bowls with Lids– I love my mixing bowls with lids because then I am able to stack things up with the fridge. Plus, glass is nice for when I need to microwave whatever is in it. I’m tempted to get these pretty ones too!
- Beau Monde Seasoning– This is an all purpose seasoning from Spice Islands made up of celery, onion, salt, and sugar. Find where to buy it here.
- Wood Serving Tray– This is pretty similar to the one photographed. Don’t have a tray or platter? Just use a rimmed cookie sheet!
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGETABLE RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Goes with Everything Side Salad
- Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Fresh Vegetable Salad
- The Best Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Refreshing Creamy Cucumber Salad
The BEST Veggie Dip
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together until evenly combined.
- Cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve.