I don’t know what it is but I have been cooking up a storm these last few days. I think the warm and sunny weather makes me happy and motivated… and I have just so many ideas and recipes I want to share!
Here are the baked chicken taquitos I was talking about yesterday that taste absolutely delicious dipped in the Cilantro Lime Dressing. They also taste great dipped in salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
So yeah, they are BAKED which means they have a lot less fat than the regular fried taquitos. They don’t taste exactly like fried taquitos because… they aren’t fried, but they are still crispy, have amazing flavor, cheesy, and creamy! Mmmmm.
I always eat one too many. It’s just so hard to say “no” to these guys!
These are great as an appetizer but you can make it a meal by serving it with Spanish Rice and refried beans (homemade fat-free recipe is coming soon!) or a side salad with the Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 12-14 flour tortillas fajita size
- Kosher salt or fresh ground salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix thoroughly cream cheese, salsa, taco seasoning, cilantro, onion, and lime juice.
- Add cheese and shredded chicken and mix until combined.
- Fill each tortilla with 3-4 tablespoons chicken mixture evenly spread in a line down the middle leaving about 1/2-1 inch on each end. Tightly roll and place seam side down on the pan. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and mixture.
- Spray the top of the taquitos with cooking spray and then sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden and crisp.
Recipe Source: Adapted from Our Best Bites (different spices, more lime, more cilantro, used Colby Jack cheese, higher baking temp…)