Cabbage Soup is chock-full of fresh veggies in a flavorful vegetable broth. Stay warm during the cold months with a big bowl of this yummy low calorie soup! (I first shared this recipe on Lil Luna where I was a contributor.)
It’s sweater weather which means it’s soup weather and this Cabbage Soup is what’s happening! I do love a good thick creamy soup but broth soups are still good too and are a great way to pack in those vegetables. For more broth based soup recipes, try Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup, The BEST Minestrone Soup, and Black Bean Soup.
The BEST Cabbage Soup
This soup is LOADED with vegetables. If you’re like me and have a hard time meeting your vegetable intake for the day, just make this soup. You’ll be going back for seconds and exceeding your vegetable intake!
How to Make Cabbage Soup:
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute the onions until they are soft. (This step helps bring out the flavor more, as well as ensures that you don’t have crunchy onions in your soup.)
- Add in the chopped celery and carrots and cook for another 3-4 minutes, followed by the garlic. Let the garlic cook with the veggies for about 30 seconds or until you can really smell it.
- Toss in the remaining soup ingredients (cabbage, tomatoes, broth, and seasonings). Bring it all to a boil and then turn it to low, cover, and allow it to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the cabbage wilts.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish it with some fresh Italian parsley and shaved Parmesan. (I prefer Parmigiano Reggiano.)
Can I use different vegetables?
Of course! This is actually a great soup to make when you need to clean out the fridge and use up leftover veggies. Chop up and toss in whatever you’ve got. For firmer veggies like peppers and potatoes, add them in with the carrots and celery. Add vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans in with the cabbage.
How to add more flavor to soup:
If you like a stronger flavor soup you can always add more spices or even various other vegetables. For this soup, a super easy way to add flavor is to toss in a Parmesan rind. It has all the flavor of the cheese but isn’t eaten due to the hard texture. This is a great way to decrease your waste and enjoy your food even more! Every time you use up a fresh wedge of Parmesan, toss the rind in a bag and freeze it for adding to your soups or your Spaghetti Meat Sauce.
How is Cabbage Soup so low in calories and carbs?
The vegetables used in this recipe (cabbage, celery, carrots, tomatoes) are very low in carbs and calories. To make the soup more filling, I suggest pairing it with a side of yummy bread like 5-Minute Garlic Cheese Bread or Flat French Bread. Since this is a light soup it is great as an appetizer if you’re having a party with multiple courses.
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE:
- If you’re looking for a filling creamy soup, this Chicken Pot Pie Soup is for you!
- Autumn Spice Pumpkin Soup is addicting and perfectly captures the flavors of fall.
- Butternut Squash Soup has just a few ingredients but trust me, you’ll be licking the bowl clean!
- Take a classic to the next level with this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup.
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew is healthy but flavorful and filling thanks to the big chunks of beef.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS VEGETARIAN CABBAGE SOUP:
- Pot & Skillet Set– These are the skillets and pots I use. They have a heavy bottom making them sturdy and cook the food evenly. I use these multiple times a day.
- Knife Set– I got this when I got married almost 8 years ago. I use them multiple times a day and they’re still going strong!
- Cutting Board– I love having various sizes of cutting boards and these are awesome because they won’t slip and slide around on the counter.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced (~1/2 onion)
- 1 cup celery, chopped (~2 stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced (~5 carrots)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups green cabbage, (~1/2 head)
- 1 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Parmesan Rind, optional
- Parmesan Cheese, shaved
- Italian parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the celery and carrots and cook another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add in the chicken broth, cabbage, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until cabbage is wilted.
- Ladle soup into bowl and top with parsley and shaved Parmesan cheese.