Kale Salad with Roasted Vegetables is a delicious, healthy, and filling salad. This salad is packed with flavor, texture, and so much wholesome goodness that you can’t help but feel better after enjoying it.
This Kale Salad with Roasted Vegetables is a copycat recipe of the Mayweather Salad made at Roots Natural Kitchen. It’s one of my husband’s favorite restaurants to grab lunch from in downtown Charlottesville. It makes the most delicious and filling fresh salads!
My first time there I got this delicious Mayweather salad. The combination of roasted vegetables, grain, kale, crunchy pita chips, and delicious dressing was so satisfying. I just had to remake it!
Kale Salad with Roasted Vegetables
The great thing about kale is that it lasts longer than some of the other greens out there. When I make this salad I always meal prep it for my husband and I to enjoy for lunches for a few days that week.
What’s in this Salad?
- Kale– Don’t forget to massage your kale for best flavor and texture.
- Whole Grain– I used Farro but the restaurant uses Bulgur Wheat
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes– Simple to prepare and crispy.
- Roasted Beets– So yummy! If you don’t already love beets, you will!
- Chicken– I like to season the chicken with paprika, chili powder, and salt but feel free to use different spices.
- Avocado– Adds creaminess and good healthy fats.
- Red Onion– Adds a little bite that compliments the sweetness of the potatoes.
- Goat Cheese– This creamy, strong flavored cheese is amazing in this salad but can be substituted with Feta cheese.
- Pita Chips– This adds the perfect crunchy texture and saltiness.
- Pesto– Adds a greater depth of flavor that works well with the tahini dressing.
- Lemon Tahini Dressing– This dressing is so yummy and creamy. You’ll want it on all your salads!
HOW TO MAKE KALE SALAD:
Time needed: 1 hour and 20 minutes.
This healthy Kale Salad takes some preparation but it is well worth it!
- Prepare sweet potatoes & beets
Get your vegetables seasoned and in the oven.
- Cook farro
While vegetables roast, cook farro or other whole grain according to package instructions.
- Cook chicken
While vegetables and grain are cooking, cook the chicken. This can be done in a skillet or you can leave the breasts whole and grill the chicken. You could also just use rotisserie chicken or purchase grilled chicken.
- Assemble the salad
Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss. If not planning to eat all the salad immediately, follow meal prep instructions.
Yes! Feel free to swap it out for tofu, beans, or roasted chickpeas.
Yes! Roast the vegetables, cook the chicken, chop the onion, cook the grain, and massage the kale all in advance. Store in the fridge in air tight containers and toss everything together when ready to eat.
Once the roasted vegetables, chicken, and grain are no longer warm (I recommend refrigerating them before meal prepping), place them in the bottom of your storage containers. Add the onions and cheese and top with the kale. Tahini Dressing and pesto can be combined and divided among little containers. Store the pita chips in a separate airtight container or baggie. Just before eating, add dressing and pita chips, close container back up and shake until evenly coated in dressing. (Alternatively you could dump it all in a large mixing bowl to toss and then place back in the meal prep container to eat.)
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS KALE SALAD:
- Meal Prep Containers– These are the perfect size containers for this salad and are shatter proof and stain proof. I have the lower end version that do stain but they do the job.
- Disposable Meal Prep Containers– These are large enough to fit your salad and still about to toss it in the dressing. They can be washed in the dishwasher for reuse.
- Cast Iron Skillet– A cast iron skillet is a kitchen must have. It heats evenly and gives meats a nice crust.
- Pot & Skillet Set– These are the skillets and pots I use. They have a heavy bottom making them sturdy and cook the food evenly. I use these multiple times a day.
LOOKING FOR MORE FILLING SALADS? CHECK OUT THESE:
- Tuna Chopped Salad
- Summer Berry Cobb Salad
- Thai Peanut Chicken Salad
- Berry Chicken Spinach Salad
- Chicken Pasta Salad with Spinach & Tomatoes
Kale Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 recipe Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 recipe Roasted Beets
- 1 cup uncooked Farro, bulgur wheat, or other cooked grain
- 1 pound chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bundle curly kale, massaged
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled, or Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup pita chips, broken
- 1/2 cup Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup pesto
- Prepare and bake the sweet potatoes and beets. Meanwhile, cook the farro, chicken, and prepare the kale.
For the Farro:
- Prepare Farro or other whole grain according to package directions. Fluff with fork and let cool. Store in airtight container in fridge.
For the Chicken:
- Skillet Version: Cut chicken into bite size pieces and toss with spices. Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat and cook chicken on all sides until cooked through (about 10 minutes). Move to plate.
- Grilled Version: Season both sides of chicken breasts. Cook on medium-high heat grill for about 5-6 minutes per side. Slice when cooled.
For the Salad:
- If consuming all the salad in one sitting– place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, toss, and serve. (Cooked items can be put into the salad warm or cold.)If meal prepping– Chill all ingredients before assembling. Using 32 ounce containers, place some roasted vegetables, chicken, and grain in the bottom of each. Add the onions and cheese and top with the kale. Portion the Tahini Dressing and pesto together between small dressing containers. Store pita chips in separate airtight container or baggie. Just before eating, add dressing and pita chips, close container back up and shake until evenly coated in dressing. (Alternatively you could dump it all in a large mixing bowl to toss and then place back in the meal prep container to eat.)